Duodenal switch patients generally stay in the hospital for 2 - 3 days and back to the work in 2 weeks & will have a full recovery within 4 - 6 weeks
- Surgeon will suggest patients to walk around as early as possible after wake up from the surgery. This will decrease the risk of the blood clots. Continue to walk and increase gradually day by day.
- Before discharging from hospital after the surgery, surgical team will perform some tests to ensure:
- Need to drink enough amount of water to stay hydrated
- Patient can urinate normally after removal of the catheter
- You have need adequate pain relief medications to relive from the pain
- Doctor will prescribe pain & digestion medication as needed.
- Avoid swimming or bathing till the incisions are fully healed. Many of the patients can return to their normal life & work within couple of weeks, but they need to plan for up to 4 - 6 weeks off to be on safe side. Full exercise & heavy lifting can be resume within 1 - 2 months.