Weight which is higher than considered as a healthy weight for the given height was described as overweight or obese.
There are several ways in which a person's health in relation to the weight can be classified, but most widely used method was body mass index (BMI).
BMI is a measure, whether person is healthy weight for the height. You can use BMI healthy weight calculator to work out the score.
For most adults, a BMI of:
- 18.5 to 24.9 means healthy weight
- 25 to 29.9 means overweight
- 30 to 39.9 means obese
- 40 or above means severely obese
The best way to treat the obesity is to eat a healthy diet, reduced-calorie diet & physical exercise regularly.
- To eat balanced diet, calorie-controlled diet which are recommended by the doctor or health professional (like dietitian).
- To do activities such as fast swimming, walking and jogging.
- If lifestyle changes alone do not help for the weight loss, medication will be recommended. If medications taken correctly, they work by reducing the amount of fat which absorbs during the digestion.
- In some of the cases, weight loss surgery will be recommended.